When it comes to your mental health, not any psychologist in Manhattan will do. You want to ensure that you are choosing a psychologist that will connect with you emotionally. Therapy can be one of the most successful ways to ease your mind, body and spirit of negativity surrounding all aspects of your life. From divorce complications to career confusion, from emotional instability to confidence issues, it’s important to understand that a psychologist can help you break through those self barriers and reveal a new you.
However, when it comes to choosing a psychologist, it is not usually as simple as flipping though the yellow pages and going with the boldest, brightest ad. It’s important to do a little research before starting out in therapy. This is because, although the journey to self improvement starts with you, the right psychologist can ensure you are on the correct path. They can provide comfort along the way and offer advice when you come to a fork in the road. Inevitably, the road to self-satisfaction is an individual journey but having a mentor can make all the difference in the world. Below we have listed five tips when hunting for a Manhattan psychologist.
- A Question of Technique: When it comes to choosing the best psychologist for your needs, make sure you weigh your options carefully. Look for a psychologist who values the same ideas as you. There are several different ways to treat patients. Check out their website, testimonials and intentions to discover some of these techniques and values. While some patients prefer to work one on one in a standard office, others would prefer a more unconventional setting, such as outdoors. While some patients prefer to use the traditional methods of analysis, others like the step outside the boundaries. It’s completely up to how you react to certain situations and what you feel comfortable with.
- Credentials: The question of education in psychology is somewhat debatable. Although we all know that knowledge is power, this does not mean you need to seek out someone with a Doctorate in Psychology. Most professionals will charge based on their credentials. There are two important factors to consider when it comes to ensuring your psychologist has the proper credentials. One is whether they have had any formal training. It’s important that all psychologists and social workers obtain an education from a respected (and accredited) college or university. The second critical factor is if they are licensed or not. Psychologists and social workers should be licensed by the state they are practicing in. Always ask for a licensing number before you start your session. Those with a Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree will be licensed in order to become a ‘psychologist’. Clinical social workers will have an L.C.S.W number in front of their degree. Make sure you always ask about their licensing level as well as any additional associations or organizations that they are a part of.
- Experience: Although many clients find success with a psychologist who is straight out of school, most would prefer to choose a psychologist in New York who has at least ten years experience in the profession. Your chosen psychologist should feel comfortable and confident providing you with guidance; often this degree of comfort is only attained through experience. Many patients will ask their psychologist about previous experience working with their specific condition as a way to see if they are a good fit.
- The Financial Aspect: As mentioned above, many Manhattan psychologists will charge based on their credentials. Although money should be no object when it comes to your mental health, it often is: after all, how can you work towards a stress free life when the overdue bills continue to pile up? Most health insurance companies will offer a limited number of therapy sessions to their members. Check with your current insurance company to see the fine print. It is standard to offer 8-12 sessions with constant monitoring from the insurance company. Then, once your progress has been assessed, the insurance company will either authorize continued treatment or not. Of course, there are many cons that come with using health insurance to pay for your therapy sessions. For one, you are losing that confidentiality as your insurance company now has the right to audit your sessions. If you are worried about the finances involved in therapy, it is best to choose a therapist in Manhattan that accepts all insurance carriers. Out-of-Network providers allow you to claim your sessions back at the end of each month and offer a little more freedom and security when it comes to your mental health.
- The Level of Comfort: Keep in mind that, when it comes to your mental health, it’s important that you are moving forward, not backwards. Everyone is different and it’s important to find the right fit. If you feel uncomfortable with your current psychologist, don’t be embarrassed or ashamed to take a different approach and step away. Feeling comfortable with your psychologist is the first stepping stone towards a more confident you.